|Trail of assault: Malala attack plot hatched in Afghanistan|
26 October 2012
Attaullah Khan, the prime suspect in the shooting of Malala Yousafzai, planned his attack following a meeting with Mullah Fazlullah in Kunar province of Afghanistan, well-placed security officials told The Express Tribune.
According to the officials, Khan is one of two main suspects in the attack which involved a larger group of 12 people. With the main suspects still at large, officials say six facilitators of the attack have been arrested so far.
Officials said they were on the trail of Khan, 23, prime suspect, who is a resident of Swat. Officials add that Khan is pursuing a master’s degree in chemistry in Peshawar. He completed his Bachelor of Science degree in physics at Jahanzeb College in Swat.
The school’s principal, Alam Zeb, condemning the attack, said that Khan had given school officials three or four dates of birth. Zeb said that he was surprised to hear that a former student of the college may have been involved in the gruesome attack on the 14-year-old girl.
In addition to arresting six men, all of them from Swat, the police have also arrested Khan’s mother, brother and fiancée. The suspect’s relatives have not been accused of involvement in the attack but may provide clues to Khan’s whereabouts, a senior official added.
Malala, who spoke against the Taliban, was shot in the head on October 9, 2012, while on her way home from school. The Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) spokesperson Eshanullah Ehsan claimed responsibility for the attack.
Internationally recognised for a blog about the horrors of life under the Taliban and a campaign for the right to an education, Malala is the highest-profile target of militants in Swat for more than three years.
Malala Yousafzai, who is currently recovering in the United Kingdom, will return to Pakistan, her father said on Thursday.
Talking to the media, Ziauddin Yousafzai has dispelled the notion that the family would seek asylum abroad.
“I first laughed at it because all of our sacrifices, my personal (sacrifices), or this attack on my daughter, cannot have such a cheap purpose that we would go to some other country and
live the rest of our life there,” he said.
Malala’s father spoke alongside Interior Minister Rehman Malik in Islamabad. Malik promised that the government would protect Malala upon her return. “Even while sitting there, she is taking care of her schooling,” as she asked her father to bring books when he goes to Britain, said Malik.
Earlier, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Information Minister Mian Iftikhar met doctors treating Malala at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
Iftikhar said that Malala was receiving the ‘best care in the world’. He said the hospital has the most appropriate expertise and experience to treat the injured teenager. (with additional input from news desk)
|See Also in Political News|
|Outpouring of support: Pakistan mourns Gaza martyr deaths today|
25 July 2014
Driven by the groundswell of sympathy for the besieged Palestinians of Gaza, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Thursday announced that the whole Pakistani nation would observe a day of mourning today (Friday) for the victims of Israeli aggression.
The announcement came after Gaza officials confirmed that the Palestinian death toll from incessant Israeli shelling had increased to 788 on the 17th day of the conflict.
“Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif has announced July 25 ... Full Story
|Cruel justice: Landlord severs boy’s arms after beating him|
25 July 2014
GUJRAT: A landlord allegedly beat up a 10-year-old boy, burnt him with scalding hot water and chopped off his arms, following a dispute between the victim’s father over electricity theft in Gujrat.
Officials said 30-year-old Ghulam Mustafa had an argument with his neighbour Nasir Iqbal in Chak Bhawala on July 15. Mustafa demanded Rs5,000 from Iqbal for an electricity wire that was connected to the latter’s electricity meter and passed through the former’s property.
However, Iqbal, refused ... Full Story
|Bodies of three buried-alive labourers found after eight days|
25 July 2014
MITHI / HYDERABAD:
After almost eight days of continuous effort, the bodies of three labourers who were buried under tons of sand while digging a well in a Tharparkar village were recovered early on Thursday.
Due to the unbearable stench emanating from the dead bodies, four persons who took part in the excavation fell unconscious in the well, hours before the bodies were brought to the surface.
“We did all this on our own,” said Vikyo Bheel, a professional well-digger who had ... Full Story