|Saints bounty scandal: NFL reaffirms suspensions of 4 players|
10 October 2012
Commissioner of the National Football League (NFL), Roger Goodell, reaffirmed the suspensions on Tuesday that it would suspend four players—Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith, Anthony Hargrove and Scott Fujita—involved in the New Orleans Saints’ bounty programme.
The reaffirmation came a month after the NFL postponed the suspensions after the players appealed.
Suspensions of former Saint and current Cleveland Browns linebacker Scott Fujita and free agent Anthony Hargrove have been cut down.
Fujita’s suspension was reduced from three games to one and Hargrove’s suspension from eight games to seven.
But the suspensions for Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma (the rest of the season) and defensive end Will Smith (four games) are unchanged.
“In letters to each player and a memorandum to the clubs, Commissioner Goodell clarified that his decision was based entirely on his finding that the bounty program represented conduct detrimental to the league and professional football,” the NFL said Tuesday.
“The Saints’ bounty program operated over a three-year period and offered incentives to players for plays including ‘cart-offs’ and ‘knock-outs,’ which were plays that caused injuries to opponents.”
The NFL Players Association (NFLPA) said it would consider its options after looking closely at the NFL’s punishments.
It said in a statement: “For more than six months, the NFL has ignored the facts, abused the process outlined in our collective bargaining agreement and failed to produce evidence that the players intended to injure anyone, ever.
“The only evidence that exists is the League’s gross violation of fair due process, transparency and impartiality during this process. Truth and fairness have been the casualties of the league’s refusal to admit that it might have made a mistake.
“We will review this decision thoroughly and review all options to protect our players’ rights with vigilance.”
|See Also in Sports News|
|Sri Lanka oust Aussies to enter semi-finals|
18 June 2013
LONDON: Sri Lanka barged into the Champions Trophy semi-finals with a 20-run victory over holders Australia in the last league match at the Oval in London on Monday.
The Islanders, who needed a win to remain in the competition, rode on aggressive half-centuries from Mahela Jayawardene and Lahiru Thirimanne to score 253-8 after being sent in to bat. Seamer Nuwan Kulasekara then picked up three wickets, effected a run-out and took a catch as the Australians were bowled out for 233 in 42.3 overs. ... Full Story
|Pakistan lacks role models in batting|
18 June 2013
Former captain Zaheer Abbas has lamented the shortage of quality batsmen in Pakistan and said the absence of role models has led to the side’s woes in batting department.
“The way I see it our poor batting performances in recent years can be put down to the fact that we are not producing role models for the new players,” Zaheer said. “Tell me, today, who is the role model for young batsman in the team? In the past we had a line of top batsmen from generation to generation. When I came in I ... Full Story
|Majid front-runner for PCB TOP slot|
18 June 2013
ISLAMABAD: Ministry of Inter Provincial Coordination (IPC) has sent three names to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s secretary Nasir Mahmood Khosa for the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) interim chairman slot as per Islamabad High Court (IHC) directives.
The inside sources in the IPC have confirmed to this scribe that a note to PM secretary had been sent for final approval of the competent authority. The names include former PCB CEO Majid Khan, famous cricket commentator Chishtee Mujahid and former ... Full Story