|SC to proceed with contempt of court charges if Swiss letter not written by Oct 5|
26 September 2012
ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court said that if the government did not comply with its order of writing the letter to Swiss authorities by October 5, the court would be compelled to resume with contempt of court proceedings, Express News reported on Wednesday.
Law Minister Farooq H Naek resubmitted the draft of the letter to be written to Swiss authorities to the Supreme Court today.
A five-member bench headed by Justice Asif Saeed Khosa started hearing the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) case in the Supreme Court.
The law minister requested the judges for discussing the draft in the court’s chambers, upon which Justice Asif Saeed Khosa enquired whether the amendments had been made in the draft as yet.
Naek yet again requested for the draft to be discussed in the chambers which was then agreed upon by the bench.
The draft was discussed in the chambers by the judges who later summoned Naek and government’s counsel Waseem Sajjad into the chamber.
After ending consultation on the draft, the hearing was adjourned till 12pm.
In the previous hearing, after Supreme Court raised few objections over the draft of the letter to be written to the Swiss authorities, Naek – in consultation with government’s counsel Waseem Sajjad and Attorney General Irfan Qadir – made changes in the letter.
The amended letter was to be submitted today.
The letter saga began when the Supreme Court struck down the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO), under which a number of cases against political figures were dropped – including the Swiss cases against President Zardari and his family.
Once the NRO was scrapped, the government was ordered by the court to retract the Qayyum letter written to Swiss authorities – something the government seemed adamant not to do, until it surprisingly relented last week.
|See Also in Political News|
|LB polls in Balochistan today|
07 December 2013
QUETTA: The local bodies elections in Balochistan will be conducted today (Saturday) under strict security measures.
A total of 54,000 security personnel have been deployed to perform the security duty during the LB polls in the province.
According to the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP), the schedule for the LB elections in the Punjab and Sindh will be issued on Monday.Secretary ECP Ishtiak Ahmed said all arrangements were in place to hold the LB elections in Balochistan ... Full Story
|Sindh Governor Dr Ishratul Ebad leaves for London|
07 December 2013
KARACHI: Sindh Governor Dr Ishratul Ebad Khan left for London via Dubai, Geo News reported.
Sources said Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) Quaid Altaf Hussain had called the key-leaders of his party including Sindh Governor, Dr Ishratul Ebad Khan to report to MQM London office for consultations over political situation emanating in Pakistan.
Dr Farooq Sattar, Babar Khan Ghauri, Khawaja Sohail Mansoor and Barrister Farogh Naseem had also left for London on Friday.Full Story
|Karachi: four arrested for stealing Nato goods at Port Qasim|
07 December 2013
KARACHI: Custom Intelligence on Friday took into custody four persons on charges of stealing goods from Nato containers, Geo News reported.
Custom Intelligence took the action in a yard of private company at Port Qasim where the accused were stealing Nato goods from the containers.
Sources said it was unclear whether there were weapons or not, however, it was first incident in which Nato goods were seized while they were being stolen.Full Story