|Formula One: Alonso is now the favourite, says Hamilton|
17 October 2012
McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton has ruled himself out of the championship race saying that Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso deserves to win the 2012 title, according to ESPNF1.
Hamilton currently sits 62 points behind leader Sebastian Vettel with his latest struggle coming in Korea where he finished tenth. However, with Alonso just six points behind and having led the championship for much of the season, Hamilton believes Alonso’s performances this year would make him the most deserving champion.
“I feel like Alonso has deserved it throughout the year,” said Hamilton. “His team haven’t made one mistake. He hasn’t always been the fastest but he has been up there. He has driven like the champion he is all year and I feel as though he is a three-time world champion. Red Bull have been more up and down but they have still done a great job. They have won the last three races.”
Hamilton, who will be joining Mercedes next season, said he will continue to be fully motivated to do well and win races for McLaren despite his focus no longer being on winning the title.
“I’ve never been distracted once this year,” said Hamilton. “I’m still 100% in this team to the last minute. People will continue to say that there is a rift between me and Jenson but there honestly is no issue between us.
“I have been part of this team for so many years and have a great relationship. I think I am loved as much as I love the team. I hope it is possible to get a podium in the last four races but we weren’t quick enough in Korea.”
‘Drivers must calm down’
Meanwhile, Nico Rosberg said that a number of drivers need to calm down at the start of races after being taken out on the opening lap of the Korean Grand Prix.
“All in all, over the past two weeks, that has just been really, really poor,” said Rosberg. “Terrible to go out on the first lap both times; there’s a bunch of drivers that are just pushing too much, just taking too many risks and need to calm down a bit I think.”
|See Also in Sports News|
|ICC no-balls Asad Rauf sans proof|
24 May 2013
Pakistan umpire Asad Rauf has been withdrawn by the ICC from officiating in the upcoming Champions Trophy in England following media reports that indicated he was under investigation by Mumbai Police.
"In the wake of reports that the Mumbai Police are conducting an investigation into Asad Rauf's activities, we feel that it is in Asad's best interests as well as those of the sport and the event itself, that he is withdrawn from participating in the ICC Champions Trophy," Dave Richardson, the ... Full Story
|India spot-fix scandal 'shameful': Sports minister|
24 May 2013
India's sports minister on Thursday branded as "shameful" the spot-fixing scandal involving the arrest of three cricketers, including Test fast bowler Shanthakumaran Sreesanth, and 11 bookmakers. Police last week arrested Sreesanth and teammates Ankeet Chavan and Ajit Chandila from the Rajasthan Royals, accusing them of deliberately bowling badly in exchange for tens of thousands of dollars.
"It is very shameful. As a young person, as a sports fan, as the sports minister of the country, my head ... Full Story
|No Vettori for Kiwis as they bid to hold England|
24 May 2013
Daniel Vettori's hopes of making a return to Test cricket in New Zealand's series finale with England in Leeds ultimately came to nothing after he was ruled out on Thursday. Former captain Vettori hasn't played a Test for nearly a year, mainly because of Achilles trouble, and was only originally selected for the one-day leg of this tour.
But a calf injury suffered by his fellow left-arm spinner Bruce Martin during New Zealand's thumping 170-run first Test defeat at Lord's saw Vettori make an ... Full Story