|Bahrain GP given green light|
14 April 2012
SHANGHAI: The Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead next week as planned despite fears it could be targeted by violent anti-government demonstrations.
The sport’s governing body, the FIA, and commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone made separate announcements in Shanghai. The Bahrain race was postponed last year after protests against the government erupted, and then removed from the 2011 schedule, and was thought to be in jeopardy once again because of the more than year-long demonstrations.
With the FIA and Ecclestone under intense pressure to make a final ruling, the flamboyant 81-year-old had a 30-minute meeting with the teams before emerging to proclaim the race had never been in any doubt.
Asked if he was 100% sure Bahrain was on, he said, “Two hundred percent.”
The FIA said in a statement that it was ‘satisfied’ that sufficient security was in place at the Sakhir circuit to deter protesters who say they will target the event.
FIA President Jean Todt led a fact-finding mission to the kingdom in November, it added, meeting the interior minister, members of the royal family, European ambassadors and the business community.
“All expressed their wish for the grand prix to go ahead in 2012, and since then, the FIA has kept in close touch with all these stakeholders,” said the FIA. “Away from the public eye, the FIA has received regular security briefings from the most senior diplomatic officials based in the kingdom as well as from other independent experts.”
|See Also in Sports News|
|Sarfraz wants probe in Shoaib’s allegations about fixing|
05 December 2013
ISLAMABAD: Former Pakistan fast bowler Sarfraz Nawaz requested Islamabad High Court Justice Shaukat Siddiqui to take suo moto action on Shoaib Akhtar's allegations against some players throwing away matches against different opponents in the recent years.
Sarfraz expressed these views during Meet the Rawalpindi Islamabad Sports Journalists Association forum (RISJA) organised at Islamabad Tennis Complex, as RISJA office located in Pakistan Sports Complex was locked on PSB Director General Syed ... Full Story
|Pakistan's Irfan doubtful for Sri Lanka series|
05 December 2013
LAHORE: Pakistan paceman M Irfan has been advised to take six weeks' rest after fracturing his hip, officials said Wednesday, making him doubtful for the series against Sri Lanka starting later this month.
The 7ft one inch Irfan -- the tallest man ever to play international cricket -- fell during the second Twenty20 international against South Africa in Dubai on November 15. Pakistan Cricket Board director Intikhab Alam said Irfan will need at least six weeks to recover. "Irfan was perfectly ... Full Story
|Taylor double ton puts New Zealand in charge|
05 December 2013
DUNEDIN: Ross Taylor smashed a maiden double century against the West Indies on Wednesday as New Zealand racked up an imposing 609-9 declared, taking a vice-like grip on the first Test in Dunedin.
The tourists made a shaky start to their reply, reduced to 24-2 before recovering to reach 67 without further loss by the close but they face a monumental task to avoid defeat. Taylor, who a year ago was in the doldrums when dumped as New Zealand captain, proved that disappointment was well behind him ... Full Story