|4 more die in Lyari gang war|
30 April 2012
KARACHI – Four people including a police officer of CID lost their lives when gangsters showered bullets and hurled grenades on a police post at Cheel Chowk in the ongoing Lyari operation on Sunday.Police high-ups claimed to have regained control of 95 per cent of Lyari, however, residents of the area rejected the claim and said police were unable to advance so far due to heavy resistance. Sources said Mullah Nisar and Tajdar alias Taju were fighting police while rest of the gangsters including Noor Muhammad alias Baba Ladla, Jabber alias Jangu, Umar Katchi and others were still on standby to take on police in their dominated areas. Police officers of different units have also been called to participate in the fight against gangsters. Gangsters welcomed SP Crime Investigation Department, Aslam Khan, with rockets and grenades when he reached Cheel Chowk at 11 am. Following his arrival, outlaws intensified exchange of fire as a result of which a 25-year-old youth Asghar was killed and his father Yousuf sustained wounds in Afshani Gali, Lyari. Intermittent firing continued in Kalakot area where gangsters fired five rockets and attacked security forces post with grenades. Eight people including two cameramen of private TV channels and six police personnel sustained injuries in exchange of fire between forces and outlaws. Constable of CID police, Fayyaz Ahmed, succumbed to his injures while ASI Aleem Niazi, PC Naveed, PC Imran, PC Sajid, Cameramen Asif and Arif and a rescuer of a welfare organisation, Kashif, were wounded.DSP Abdul Razaq and DSP Nawaz were also wounded during exchange of fire, in Nawa Lane area of Lyari. DSP Nasir Lohdi claimed that Sajid alias Gabber, brother-in-law of Lyari gang chief Baba Ladla was killed near Gabool Park. In another attack two police personnel PC Kashif and PC Khalid among an 18 year-old-girl, Ghazal, sustained bullet injures and were shifted to hospital.Meanwhile, Sindh Home Department has directed police high-ups to intensify the operation and arrest eight main masterminds of Lyari dead or alive.The accused included Noor Muhammad alias Baba Ladla, Jabbar alias Jango, Umar Katchi, Tajdar alias Taju, Shahid MCB, Zafar Baloch, Uzair Jan Baloch, Habib Baloch.Meanwhile, residents of Lyari rallied against police operation and demanded of the government to stop operation forthwith and restore water, electric and food supplies. Protesters also torched Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) flags. According to reports, at least 35 people have been killed and some 100 sustained injuries in April. Five personnel of law enforcement agencies also lost their lives during the whole episode continuing intermittently. Sources privy to the matter disclosed that police had claimed to kill two gangsters including Mullah Sohail and Naeem Lahooti but both are still alive.
|See Also in Political News|
|Business tycoon Malik Riaz loses 'Bahria' brand name|
28 March 2015
RAWALPINDI: A court in Rawalpindi accepted the petition of naval subsidiary Bahria Foundation to restrain business tycoon Malik Riaz Hussain’s from using the name ‘Bahria’ for his housing society.
The court handed down a verdict in the over a decade old case filed in 2002.
Riaz’s legal adviser, Qaiser Qadeer Qureshi, said that so far the court announced a short order and are awaiting a detailed verdict.
“After examining that, Bahria Town will file an appeal”, he told a local ... Full Story
|Conspiracy to discredit Islam in Middle East cause of concern: Lodhi|
28 March 2015
NEW YORK: Permanent Representative of Pakistan to the United Nations Dr Maleeha Lodhi said on Saturday the conspiracy to discredit Islam in the Middle East was a cause of concern.
Dr Lodhi emphasised that the security and sovereignty of all countries should be respected. She added that Islam teaches love, brotherhood, tolerance and humanity.
Dr Lodhi’s statements come in the backdrop of Saudi Arabia and a coalition of regional allies launching air strikes against Huthi rebels in Yemen on ... Full Story
|Parliament to be taken into confidence: Asif|
28 March 2015
ISLAMABAD: Minister for Defence Khawaja Muhammad Asif on Friday told the National Assembly that parliament will be taken into confidence if a decision was taken to send the army to the Middle East.
The minister said no decision had been taken to participate in the war in the Middle East; rather Pakistan had pledged to defend the territorial integrity of Saudi Arabia.“Pakistan has pledged to defend Saudi Arabia in case of any danger to its territorial integrity and security of the friendly ... Full Story